Take simple roasted chicken to the stratosphere with a luxurious twist. This recipe uses black truffle butter and fresh black truffle slices, which are layered under the skin. The result is an ultra-juicy bird that’s full of truffle flavor. Read on for the recipe.
Ariane, the founder and owner of D’Artagnan, advises rubbing black truffle butter under turkey skin when roasting for the holidays. It’s a tip you can use with chicken all year long, but now that black winter truffles are in season, it’s the perfect time to add thin slices of the precious fungi along with the butter.
Try Our Black Truffle Roasted Chicken Recipe
- 1 Green Circle Chicken, about 3lbs
- 5 tablespoons Black Truffle Butter, softened, divided use
- ½ Fresh Black Winter Truffle, Fresh Burgundy Truffle, or Fresh Summer Truffle, sliced paper-thin
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Remove neck and giblets from the chicken cavity. Pat chicken dry with paper towels.
- Using your fingers, carefully pull skin away from breast and leg meat, being careful not to puncture the skin. Insert about 4 tablespoons of black truffle butter evenly under the loosened skin. Insert truffle slices evenly in between the butter and skin. Season inside and out with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Truss chicken with butcher’s string and fold wings under. Rub remaining tablespoon of butter all over the outside of the chicken.
- Place on a rack in a heavy roasting pan. Roast for about 45-60 minutes, basting with pan drippings at the halfway point, until chicken is golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat registers 160 degrees F. (Check halfway through cooking, if the skin over the breast is getting too dark, cover with a small piece of foil until the last 10 minutes.)
- Remove chicken from the oven and rest on a cutting board for about 10-15 minutes before carving and serving.
Recipe Tips: Fresh truffle should be shaved as thin as possible. If you don’t have a truffle shaver, a ceramic hand-held mandoline will also work. In a pinch, you can also grate the truffle with a Microplane grater.
Shop dartagnan.com for the ingredients to make a memorable meal. Order your fresh black winter truffle today … while the season is on.
Since 1985, D’Artagnan has been at the forefront of the farm-to-table movement, producing superior tasting products by partnering with small ranches and farms. We are committed to free-range, natural production, sustainable and humane farming practices and no use of antibiotics or hormones. That’s why D’Artagnan products have been revered by America’s most renowned chefs for over 30 years. We offer the same high-quality products to home cooks at dartagnan.com, along with recipes and guides to help you live the tasty life.
Are you a business looking to serve or sell D’Artagnan? We invite both chefs and food retailers to reach out and become D’Artagnan customers.