Burgers. We all love ’em, right? Especially with cheese. Whatever the season, hamburgers are the right choice.
While there’s something to be said for sticking with the classics, sometimes you feel like shaking up the burger routine. Go ahead – get adventurous! The burger makes an excellent blank canvas (try a buffalo burger for the patty). Here are some ideas for using cheese to take the great American burger from humble to haute.
Getting tired of that same old slice? Try using cheeses with a little panache.
- English Stilton or Roquefort add a tangy kick.
- Fontina, Havarti and gouda are buttery, smooth and melt beautifully on burgers.
- Craving creamy? A thick slice of pungent Taleggio, Coulommiers or triple-cream Brillat-Savarin should do the trick.
- Creamy burrata is mild, milky and decadent on a burger.
- Herbed chèvre adds a tart pop of flavor and pairs well with bitter greens like arugula.
- Add crunch with a cheese crisp, or frico – Parmigiano-Reggiano, Mimolette, and manchego are all good cheeses for making frico.
How to make a frico crisp: sprinkle ¼ cup of finely shredded cheese in a circle shape (the same diameter of your hamburger bun) on a non-stick baking sheet, and bake in a 375 degree F oven until the cheese melts and begins to turn golden. Let it cool and firm up for a few minutes before using. Crunch, crunch!
Make This Burger Now!
Try our recipe for wagyu and veal sliders with burrata cheese … lots of basil and a creamy aioli add flavor. This could be summer’s biggest burger hit.
If you make the perfect burger be sure to share it with us on social media. Tag @dartagnanfoods on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.