Some like it hot, and they will be very happy with this lamb chop recipe. A flavorful spice rub and a generous drizzle of spicy harissa make these juicy lamb chops irresistible. This quick and easy recipe starts with a whole rack of lamb, pan-seared and then oven-roasted. We used a rack cut from our exclusive Salt Meadow whole lamb loin but any of our racks of lamb will cook beautifully using this method (this grass-fed lamb rack for instance). Use a thermometer to gauge doneness as different racks will vary in size and need more or less time accordingly.
Are you a lover of lamb? Explore your tasty options at dartagnan.com and put lamb on the menu!
Moroccan Spiced Lamb Chops with Harissa
- 1 rack of lamb
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pinch ground cloves
- Olive oil
- 2 tablespoons harissa paste
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- Remove the lamb from fridge about an hour before you plan on cooking. If using our Salt Meadow lamb, remove any fragments of the chine bone and trim excess fat. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- To a small bowl add salt, paprika, sugar, cumin, ginger, cardamom, coriander, cinnamon, allspice, cayenne, and cloves; mix well.
- Brush the lamb loin lightly with olive oil then season all over with the spice rub. You’ll use up the entire spice mixture coating the whole rack.
- Heat about a tablespoon of olive oil in a heavy oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the lamb, fat side down, for about 2-3 minutes, then turn and brown on the other side. Move the skillet to the oven and cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of rack registers 125 degrees F for medium-rare, about 15 minutes. Remove rack to a cutting board and rest for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl stir together harissa paste and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Cut the rack between the rib bones into chops. Place chops on a serving platter and drizzle with the harissa/oil mixture and sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately.
Since 1985, D’Artagnan has been at the forefront of the farm-to-table movement, producing superior tasting products by partnering with small ranches and farms. We are committed to free-range, natural production, sustainable and humane farming practices and no use of antibiotics or hormones. That’s why D’Artagnan products have been revered by America’s most renowned chefs for over 30 years. We offer the same high-quality products to home cooks at dartagnan.com, along with recipes and guides to help you live the tasty life.