We’re not too proud to succumb to the pleasures of simple comfort food. And it really doesn’t get more comforting than mac and cheese, does it?
Fresh from the D’Artagnan test kitchen, this quick and easy recipe for stove top mac & cheese with bacon will satisfy adults and kids alike. It’s a good recipe to keep in your back pocket for barbecue night, or for those moments when you need a quick fix of creamy satisfaction.
We agree with Michael Pollan, who said: “Eat all the junk food you want as long as you cook it yourself.”
Control the quality and source of your ingredients, use real food, not artificially-flavored or colored fake stuff from a lab. And it’s important to enjoy your indulgences with gusto – no guilt! It’s called comfort food for a reason.
D’Artagnan’s Bacon Mac and Cheese
- 4 cups whole milk, at room temperature
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 8 slices Applewood Smoked Bacon, diced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3 cups grated white cheddar cheese
- 2 cups grated fontina cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- ¼ cup finely chopped scallions
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the macaroni and cook until al dente; drain and set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, warm the milk, garlic, and thyme to a bare simmer. Remove from heat and let the mixture sit.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat cook the bacon until fat has rendered and bacon is crisp, about 12 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon and drain on paper towels. Pour off all but 3 tablespoons of bacon fat and return pot to medium heat.
- Remove thyme and garlic from reserved milk mixture and discard.
- Sprinkle flour over the bacon fat and whisk to combine. Cook, whisking occasionally until mixture is smooth and flour is golden, about 5 minutes. Slowly add milk, whisking constantly. Continue to whisk and cook until mixture is smooth and thickened. Stir in dry mustard. Remove from heat. Stir in cheeses a little at a time until fully incorporated. Stir in bacon and scallions. Fold in macaroni. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper, if needed. Serve immediately.