December 13th is National Hot Cocoa Day and we were inspired to brew up something a bit unusual for the occasion. This hot chocolate is not the sad powdered stuff of American childhood. Our cocoa is similar to a European-style hot chocolate – it’s thick, rich and just sweet enough. The secret? Chestnuts create an unforgettable texture and flavor. Read on for the recipe.
The chestnuts we use are from France, fully-cooked, skinless, and ready-to-use. It doesn’t get easier than that! Buy our convenient chestnuts at dartagnan.com, and get a few extra packs for use during the holidays. They come in handy for stuffing, and pair well with many holiday mains like goose, lamb, turkey, and capon.
Our Chestnut Hot Chocolate will make a decadent treat on Christmas morning with some toasted brioche for dipping. Of course, it’s the perfect way to celebrate National Hot Cocoa Day or to cheer up a cold winter’s evening.
- 1 package Ready-to-Use Chestnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2½ cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 ounces quality dark chocolate (70% or higher)
For the Topping
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon confectioner’s sugar
- Dark chocolate, for shaving
- Place the chestnuts in the pitcher of a blender. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk together milk, cream, sugar, sea salt, and cinnamon. Heat until hot and slightly foamy but do not boil. Remove from heat then whisk in chocolate until melted.
- Pour half of the mixture over the chestnuts in the blender. Cover and blend until smooth, about 45 seconds. Pour blended portion back into the saucepan and heat over low heat until smooth and thickened, about 5 minutes.
- For the topping, stir together heavy cream and confectioner’s sugar then whip with a whisk or mixer until soft peaks form. Serve hot chocolate in warmed bowls or mugs with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
Avoiding dairy, but addicted to chocolate? Simply substitute coconut milk, and whipped coconut cream. This European-style hot chocolate is thick, rich and subtly sweet – perfect for the winter holidays. You won’t even miss the dairy.
Since 1985, D’Artagnan has been at the forefront of the farm-to-table movement, producing superior tasting products by partnering with small ranches and farms. We are committed to free-range, natural production, sustainable and humane farming practices and no use of antibiotics or hormones. That’s why D’Artagnan products have been revered by America’s most renowned chefs for over 30 years. We offer the same high-quality products to home cooks at dartagnan.com, along with recipes and guides to help you live the tasty life.
Are you a business looking to serve or sell D’Artagnan? We invite both chefs and food retailers to reach out and become D’Artagnan customers.